Constant Work in ProgressPosted: June 13, 2009 Filed under: personal | Tags: blogging, personal 2 Comments
Finally settled on a theme and just gave up on constantly editing the look and feel of my blog. Turns out that this will take forever and it’s becoming a tedious task that you just want to skip and forever bury in the deep recesses of your mind.
So for all of you aspiring bloggers like me who can’t blog his way out of a paper bag.
Setting Up Your Blog 101
- Choose your blogging engine
– tons and tons of options are out there. Choose wisely as you don’t want to start all over again. I choose WordPress because of its great community support and large user base. (Aside from personal tech support I get from fellow WP users)
- Choose your theme wisely
– Your theme is how you want to be portrayed. Of course aside from your posts, your theme is the first thing your potential readers would see. If it’s a cluttered mess then that’s what they’re going to think about you. Now you know why I choose a minamilist, almost empty and blank page. For me content is king and that’s what I want my readers to focus on, not ads, badges, blogrolls and other none sense you can see from the usual “personal blogs”
- Take advantage of plug-ins
– They are there for a reason. Obviously, you need readers aside from your family and friends, this is where SEO comes in. I’ll dedicate a few posts on this topic but essentially this is your number one tool to get people on to your site.
– What do you want your blog to be? Is it a personal blog that contains your innermost secrets? A tech blog that contains tips and guides on different technologies? A cash cow blog? Whatever your blog is about the number one thing you have to take into consideration is content. Without it you might as well not start a blog in the first place. People visit websites because of the information they can get out of it. As my blog evolves you’ll see a slew of topics that I will cover.
This is a short list on what you would need to put up a blog (definitely there are more ‘comprehensive’ guides out there). Watch out as I update and revise my blog and see what type of content I put out.
So, based on #2, are you saying that you are a bland and boring person?
😉 it can also say i’m simple and full of content 🙂